Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Unmasking the publishing deception



I’ve unmasked the deception of publishing. My first collection of poetry in chapbook form entitled Unjumping , resembles left- overs from the Titanic before it capsized. To say that I am displeased by the stapling, the book cover paper, the paper type is to put it politely. Seriously? When I asked the publishers why the cover fades after a few weeks, he said that probably because I have too much black on it. Yeuwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!
After spending 800 British sterling pounds to bring the books from the Uk to here, I excitedly unwrapped the box and when I saw the books, my poetry radar went to hell and back. I am now selling the books at a quarter price and I warn all buyers that the cover will fade and begin to look like Wole Soyinka’s beard dipped in Novida soda.
Two weeks ago, I almost pulped the books. I almost drowned them in the maggots in the pit latrine but I reflected on the hard work and now I am sellingthem at 5,000/-.Thanks to all of those that have bought and those that are still calling me for copies. You have made the end of 2010 special for me. Now that I am doing my Masters in Creative writing, there will be a better collection of poetry which after being published, will have a better story.

6 comments:

  1. Bev, you mean you had to meet some of the costs on publishing the collection???!

    If anything good has come out of it (apart from some very excellent poems) it is that they have shown you you can publish your work on your own. I for one love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working on a poetry book as well. It is still very young though, still in the process of adding and removing poems; changing styles here and there and the lot. I have an editor, doubt anyone has heard of her but I think she will do us both a lot of good. I have not yet gone to that stage of publishing/printing but i always have issues with Ug's print quality. So unappealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iwaya, self-publishing is so tempting. Sade Adenira did it and won the regional commoncwealth writers award for her book, imagine this. Nevender, I can connect you to a friend in Norway looking for ugandan poets. Email me nambozo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough one Bev, but glad you are learning a lot from it. So how does one get a copy of the book? the number you left on FB didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Black Ink, sorry, but I am on 0782 764335, it is on.

    ReplyDelete