Tuesday, April 12, 2016

PAUL KISAKYE WRITES ABOUT PRODIGAL LOVE- #BABISHAI2016 FESTIVAL GUEST

Paul Kisakye is an unapologetic Christian and author of recently published book, Prodigal Love: Embracing God’s Outrageous, Unconditional Love. He is consistent in his belief in God’s grace and power. 

Paul Kisakye (Courtesy photo)

Paul's book will be launched on 19th April at Papali on the Roof in Kampala-Bukoto. The entry fee of 30,000/- includes a copy of the book. Paul is also a guest at the #Babishai2016 poetry festival and will be part of a panel discussion on Christian writing and why he strongly believes that it’s not a hindrance to creativity.

1.       Paul, Congratulations on your recent book. Let’s start with Christian writing. You hold firm Christian beliefs. How flexible does that permit you to explore multiple themes in your writing and do you sometimes find yourself in positions of self-censorship?
I am a Christian, and I am a writer. I write for a living. I am a Christian writer in the same way a friend of mine is a Christian lawyer and another is a Christian surgeon. My beliefs influence my writing the same way my surgeon friend’s beliefs influence his work. About self-censorship, I rarely have to censor myself. I never have need to use profanity in my writing, and I know how to write a sexually explicit scene in a way that doesn’t make it feel dirty. I’ve written some stories that haven’t gone down well with some Christian friends of mine. But God liked them. And that’s what really matters.

2.       How would you feel towards a body of Christian writers supporting one another amidst the challenges in the literary fraternity?

That is long overdue. Most of us writers are semi-hermits. We forget that God created us to live in community. Community is important for our creativity. So I’d definitely join other Christian writers so we can support each other. As long as it’s safe and healthy.

3.       In three words, how would you describe your book?
Experience Unconditional Love.

prodigal Love: Embraing God's outrageous, unconditional love


4.       What are the most surprising responses you have received from this book, so far?

The pig! That pig on the cover has caused no small stir! I’ve enjoyed reading and listening to people speculate on why I chose to have a pig on the cover. Well, it’s mostly a picture of Jesus’ Parable of the Prodigal Son, which was the inspiration for the book. It also represents how most people think about their relationship with God. Most people feel like they are filthy pigs that God loves but can’t hug. A few people have said that the pig might keep away Muslim readers. But I’m not worried about that. I wrote this book for Christians. If only Christians learnt how much God loves them, this world would be a much better place.

5.       You sent a children’s poem for Babishai Poetricks last year. It’s going to be published in a poetry anthology which we’re producing. How often do you write poetry?

I mainly write prose. It comes naturally to me, whether I feel like writing or not. But for poetry, I have to be in a certain space. I haven’t yet figured out what kind of space that has to be. But the last time I wrote a poem was when someone died a few months ago.

6.       Which, in your opinion, is the best diet for poets?

Books. Lots of books. And a thesaurus and a rhyming dictionary (or Google). But for real food, anything that you fancy will do.

7.       What do you expect from the Babishai Poetry Festival?

I’m looking forward to having interesting, quirky conversations with the brilliant minds that this festival attracts.

8.       Any parting remarks?

Do you have a story burning to be told? Do you have a voice that must be heard? Then write. Because writing is no small calling. Otherwise, get back to your normal day job and save us the agony of watching our time being flushed down the toilet.

Thank you very much.
Babishai Festival will run from 24-26 August 2016 in Kampala.

Below are details of our two Babishai 2016 Poetry Competitions.







No comments:

Post a Comment